If you have been caravanning for some time you will probably have seen a lot of improvements to your holiday home from home over the years. A quick look through our range will demonstrate that the modern caravan is designed to use the available space in the most efficient manner possible. The designers are constantly looking for ways to improve the ergonomics of the van to improve the comfort, style and use of space to make life a little better for us.
However there is one thing they cannot change. The available space is all the space there is and sadly nobody has yet managed to create a Tardis van, a van that is bigger on the inside. Fortunately, one way to extend your caravan is available without bending the laws of time and space.
An awning can be an excellent addition to your equipment. It will extend you practical living space and also makes a great shade space for those sunny days. So here are 5 practical steps to choosing your new awning.
1. Measure your Awning – For most of us a quick flick through your caravan guide will reveal specific measurements. If you have an older van (or that manual is playing hide and seek with you) try searching for it on the Internet. If it is not there then measuring your awning is simple. One way is to dig around in the shed and find a good old-fashioned ball of hairy string. With your van on a level surface, weight the string to the floor at the end of one edge of the van and thread through the awning channel to the floor at the other end. Now mark the string and measure the distance. This will give you the approximate size of your awning.
2. Think about what you will use the awning for – Is it primarily for shelter? If so a small one will do, or do you want a larger one to extend your living space?
3. What will you want in the awning? – An awning is a great place to eat on a hot day and sometimes a nice cool sleeping compartment.
4. Floor coverings for your comfort – Awning ‘carpet’ and/or a ground sheet are highly recommended to make the living area inside dry and comfortable underfoot.
5. Advice and walk around – There is no substitute for experience so check with other caravan owners as to what they use and why. We will also be happy to discuss the depth and style of the awning. There are a number of different kinds so come and chat to us and we will suggest the best option.
Once you have your awning it will give you years of use if you look after it correctly. It will need waterproofing and cleaning and the occasional bit of TLC of course, but the additional space and comfort are well worth the effort.
Oh and sorry for the terrible pun in the title, we couldn’t resist it.
Open 24hr's a day, 7 days a week. Shop with Venture Caravans online and with confidence, through our eBay store. We are eBay top-rated and a Power seller.Shop now
Venture are now firmly established as one of the leading caravan dealers in the country with a wealth of experience and knowledge. Find out how it all started.More info